Wednesday, June 24, 2009

#3: Thelma & Louise (R. Scott, 1991)

Remember when I was going to review 100 movies in one month? Well, I got distracted. Sue me. Since the last review, I celebrated my 28th birthday, graduated from my university (kind of), and purchased the awesomely distracting Rock Band 2. I've re-focused, though; I'm back!

Thelma & Louise

Thelma & Louise (1991)

"If you've murdered a man and there's no turning back... press five now."


I had somehow never seen Thelma & Louise and geez-louise (get it?) did it turn out to be overrated.

The dialogue is cheesy, the supporting characters are embarrassingly one dimensional, the jokes are flat, and the plot is ludicrous.

If the movie featured male leads, critics would have called it an average-- if not cliched-- road movie. Instead: it's a feminist masterpiece! I don't know. If it's empowering to women, great. Really, good for them. But it bored the crap out of me.

The film's saving graces are:

1) Geena Davis (as Thelma). Her character has a fun arc and the acting is spot on. This is in contrast to Susan Sarandon's Louise. Sarandon overacted the entire time.

2) DP Adrian Biddle (who has enjoyed an uneven career) does some interesting things with the road shots. The film is particularly beautiful when the duo reaches the Grand Canyon. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit-- he did have THE GRAND CANYON to work with.

Thelma & Louise

Thelma & Louise (1991)

Much like the female gender itself, T&L is pretty to look at but boring and just a tad shallow upon closer inspection.


Overall, Thelma & Louise didn't do much for me. And the way Ridley Scott handled the ending was especially stupid. The alternate ending included on the DVD was longer and actually more appropriate.

Thelma & Louise alternate ending

Thelma & Louise (1991)

The alternate ending doesn't have the cheesy freeze frame. It shows the fucking car go into the Canyon. Which is cool.


Final score: 45 out of 100.

No comments: