Wednesday, August 18, 2010

All the Leaves are Green, and the Sky is Blue

I’ve lived in California for nearly 10 months now. That’s pretty hard for me to comprehend.

I’ve never eaten un elote or a Dodger Dog, I have no idea how to get to Glendale without my GPS, I still haven’t even swum in the Pacific Ocean. In many ways, I do not feel like a very accomplished Los Angelino.

Yet, here I am.

And my life out here is slowly coming into focus. I’ve developed a bit of a daily routine, for one. I spend a ton of time with The Lady Friend (very good), eat Subway nearly every day for lunch (good), work nights Monday through Saturday (less good), and split the rest of my hours between pooping, sleeping, and writing.

I’m happy (and I’m beginning to notice an increase in my productivity). But I can’t shake this feeling that I’m simply not getting enough out of L.A. There is so much untapped culture, history, and general depravity within a few miles of my house, I feel guilty when my routine doesn't allow me to make better use of my surroundings.

Nevertheless, I love spending time with my keyboard and my girl. Those are two essential parts of my life. And, sadly, I need my job. Or any job, I suppose. I can try cutting sleep and pooping out of my schedule but that doesn’t seem like a long term solution.

What, then, will give?

Maybe I should better combine my passions. For example, taking my girlfriend to a Dodger game and writing about it after. When one activity can accomplish multiple goals one saves a bit of time. Maybe I should get a job at Subway! On second thought, meh.

Maybe I need to concentrate on organization. Buying a laptop will help. Writing in actual notebooks is comfortable and quaint, but a tad antiquated. And I'm never around my desktop computer enough to give my projects the care they require. I must join the tiny computer revolution, I suppose.

Going deeper than that, though, I just waste too much time. I’m constantly unfocused. My processes are muddled.

I need to implement a better system today. I’m making a few more industry contacts each day who are genuinely interested in reading my work which means I need to get some serious writing done. I need to produce some work that it is ready to read. I need to move quickly and finish everything I start.

Again, that's not the only entree on my plate.

As my relationship with TLF gets more serious, it will likely require additional time and attention. And money. My debt isn't just erasing itself. I need to find ways to work harder and more often and to spend less.

On a slightly less important note, the football and (later) basketball seasons are almost here.

Ugh, never enough time in a day.



Watch this clip from a wonderful film partially inspired by a California obsession:

No comments: